CSA featuring McVean farmers
A CSA is a partnership between your plates and the farmers’ field: you support their up-front, day-in, day-out work with some cash in advance, and they support your table for a full season of high-quality full-flavoured produce delight.
Everyone at the McVean Farm follows organic practices; the CSA farmers are certified by EcoCert or are in the certification process. Several farmers participate in the CSA; our featured farmers in 2015 are:
One box size – 7-10 items weekly – seasonal, local, absolutely fresh full-flavour produce – many heirloom and specialty varieties.
- Hugh Philips. This is Hugh’s third year at McVean. Hugh focuses on heirloom varieties selected for outstanding flavour – and colours! – lemon cucumbers, purple broccoli, sweet white tomatoes, chocolate peppers, scarlet turnips to brighten your plates.
- The Hidalgos father and son are in their second year at McVean. Mr. Hidalgo Sr. brings a wealth of experience to the farm. They grow the staples of the produce world – peas, carrots, beets, beans, peppers, red tomatoes, summer squash, swiss chard, kale, onions.
We include in the box one or more easy-prep recipes for regular or specialty items – chard with pasta, scarlet turnip salad, leek tart...
- Early summer example: lettuce mix, spinach, rainbow chard, sweet carrots, radishes, peas, mint
- High season example: beans, onions, fingerling potatoes, heirloom tomatoes, sweet & warm peppers, eggplant, zucchini, basil, parsley, celery
- Fall example: sweet corn, tomatoes, peppers, beans, potatoes, broccoli, kale, winter squash, garlic
For TWENTY wonderful weeks, June 23 - October 13, at $40/week, payable by cheque as follows: $300 at sign-up, $300 dated July 15, $200 dated September 1.
To sign up for your share, csa < at > this website name